Thursday, September 07, 2006

A Scrapbooking Alternative

If you are anything like me, you have the best of intentions with scrapbooking... but no follow-through. With my first son, I started to fill one in, kept track of important milestones and photos and all that. But I knew deep inside it wouldn't last. I figured that with each child I would lose motivation/time/energy to scrapbook and it just wouldn't happen. Then I felt bad thinking I'd have a book of memories with one son but nothing for the rest of present (and God-willing future) children. So I came up with a new plan.

I write in journals for my boys. I started with Xavier before I even knew his sex in the womb... just writing about my feelings toward him, etc. I've continued this with Leo and just wrote my first entry to the new babe last night. I don't have a set time frame of when I'm "supposed" to write... anything reeking of organization or commitment must keep far from me! I simply write when I feel like it, about what the child is learning or our current life events, always how much I love them and pray for them... This usually ends up being every few months or so. I've put little photos in their journals every now and again, but they're not attached, just hanging out loosely. I included a letter my husband wrote to our son when he was deployed. But mostly it's just words on a page.

I plan on giving the kids their journals sometime around their 18th birthday or so... I would have LOVED to have my own little book of my mother's thoughts toward me as I was growing up. I think it'll be something they can really treasure some day. And best of all, it requires minimal organization and time from a busy mom like me!

Ellie: Oak Harbor, WA

Labels:


one of us :: 12:46 PM :: 1 Comments

---------------oOo---------------