Thursday, August 31, 2006

Encouragement in Scripture for The Childbearing Year

I wanted to share some passages from Scripture which are fitting for the childbearing time. My midwife back in Ohio gave this compilation as a handout in her birth folder. I found them to be encouraging, consoling and especially beautiful during the pregnancy and post-partum time.

This icon is The Mother of God of Tenderness, written by Dan Nichols of Eighth Day icons. We also have a link to his site under our "fine art recommendations" which is on the "religious supplies" page in the sidebar with the other links. I find this icon to be especially comforting during any anxious or hard times.

Psalm 127:3-5~ Behold, children are a gift of the Lord; The fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; They shall not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies at the gate.

Psalm 128:1, 3-4~ How blessed is everyone who fears the Lord. Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine within your house, your children l;ike olive plants around your table. Behold, for thus shall the man be blessed who fears the Lord.

Genesis 18:14~ Is anything too difficult for the Lord? (concerning Sarah)

Mark 10:28~ With men it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God!

Psalm 34:4~ I sought the Lord, and He answered me, and delivered me from all of my fears.

Psalm 46:1-2~ God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear.

Psalm 56:3-4~ When I am afraid, I will put my trust in Thee. In God, whose word I praise, in God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid.

Some mothers who's births I have been to have found it particularly helpful, during labor, to have the the Litany of Mary or of Jesus prayed with or read to them. My husband and I prayed the rosary together during the earlier stages of labor when I was in a more contemplative state, before I had to concentrate too much on each contraction. During those harder stages some women prefer to labor in silence, without noise or anyone talking to them. However, some women really love to hear the sound of the beautiful litanies of our Church. ~Just some thoughts for those of you who will be having your babies soon!

~Sia in Vancouver, WA

Labels:


one of us :: 7:38 PM :: 0 Comments

---------------oOo---------------