Wednesday, March 21, 2007on peanut butter
Sia talked about eating real peanut butter on Monday. I posted about this a while ago on my personal blog but the joy is so great I had to share it here: Make your own peanut butter!
Simply put peanuts into a food processor or blender and process until it's the consistency you like! It's that simple! My kids get thrilled whenever I make a batch of peanut butter now... watching how something is made gives a certain joy to little ones.
- This keeps for 3 weeks in your refrigerator.
- If you can't bear the "natural" taste just yet, add a bit of honey before blending.
- Roasted peanuts are drier than regular peanuts and may need a tablespoon or two of oil to smooth it up. Some add oil anyway just for extra smooth peanut butter.
- Spanish peanuts are the oiliest and won't need any addition!
- I buy a huge party-size tin of regular salted peanuts to use. But they are almost TOO salty so I spread the amount out that I'll be using on a paper towel to shake off some salt before processing.
- You can make almond, cashew or any other nut butter this way too!
Labels: useful ideas