Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Question of the Week: Other Churches

I've found myself on more than one occasion stumbling over proper word choice and phrasing when I discuss non-Catholics to my children. They've learned that we cross ourselves when we pass a Catholic Church. Occasionally we pass a protestant church and the kids cross themselves and my oldest will say something like "Why don't we go to that church?"

I don't want to raise little bigots and I even hesitate to raise perfectly frank children who don't yet have any apologetic skills. The last thing I want is for them to be on the playground saying "My mom says your church is the wrong one." It's important to be honest... but sensitive to what they can understand at a young level.

How do you approach the subject of "other churches" with your children?

Labels:


one of us :: 12:03 AM :: 9 Comments

---------------oOo---------------