Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Quick Pick

I just finished reading what came as a breath of fresh air: "Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide: How to Make Safe, Sensible Decisions about the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives."

I trust that all of our readers are thoughtful people and as such, make informed decisions about the healthcare of their children. I have been on the fence about vaccinations as long as I've been a mother and I'm just now feeling some peace about the decisions we are making as a family. This is difficult terrain to tread because there is SO much propaganda out there on BOTH sides of the camp... whether and when to vaccinate or not. This book, you should know, does not take sides in the issue. Rather, it systematically goes through each illness and vaccine and explains its history, risks, and alternative treatments. It is the single most balanced book on the subject I've ever seen. And while I wish that the author (a certified nurse midwife) would just TELL me what to do... she wisely does not. Her goal is to empower parents with the information they need to make the decisions that is right for their family.

No one should feel pressured or bullied about their decisions in this matter. It is a very personal choice and I'm convinced that a little education (beyond the severely limited and somewhat biased flyers they give you at the clinic) could go a long way in helping YOU make the decision you feel is right.
~Ellie, Oak Harbor, WA

Labels:


one of us :: 9:57 AM :: 4 Comments

---------------oOo---------------