Friday, November 10, 2006

Pope Leo the Great

Today the church celebrates the feast of Leo the Great Bishop of Rome, 461. How many of us would have the courage to face Attila the Hun on the battlefield?! (I would pray that my own Leo be given the heart of his namesake!) One of my very favorite quotes to meditate upon in hard times comes from this great saint:

"Virtue is nothing without the trial of temptation, for there is no conflict without an enemy, no victory without strife."

How can we celebrate this saint's feast day in our own homes? Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but we are going to do a little skit about this famous encounter with the enemy. Papa will be off work tomorrow so he can be Attila. I have some old sheets I can turn into ancient robes and we can make a paper mitre for our little pope to wear. It'll be short and sweet but feast days for our children's patrons ALWAYS deserve a special treat of some sort; so maybe I'll make cupcakes or a special sweetbread for after the battle. We do what we can to make ours a JOYFUL Faith! Pope Saint Leo, pray for us!

Labels:


one of us :: 5:24 AM :: 0 Comments

---------------oOo---------------