Friday, October 13, 2006

"You've Got to Ac_cent_tchu_ate the Positive..."

(ten points for who wrote that song... God will know if you google!!! ;o)

There is one major misconception I want to clear up... and I think I speak for a lot of people who choose to educate their children at home. It's not always for negative reasons! That is to say, I'm not going to be homeschooling because I want to shelter my kids from the dangers to their Faith found in government schools. I'm not doing it because it's a last resort option. I'm not going to homeschool because I fear or hate public schools. (Though, I do have serious misgivings you can read about here.)

I am homeschooling because I believe I can provide a superior education for my kids! Yes, there are some ugly things I want to avoid in public schools, but this is secondary! Even if those things weren't in place... I'd still educate from the home.

A few people have commented to me lately that I am "running away" from the problem... not so! I am taking the best course of action by preparing my children for the "problem!" (That being the real world.) Who sends soldiers out to battle without any training?!

So without justifying all my reasons for homeschooling at this time, I want to make it clear that I'm doing it with a pro-active mindset regarding the beauty of learning I want to give to my kids.... not reactively to the bad things found in public schools. I'm not sure why this is so hard for people to understand...


-Ellie: Oak Harbor, WA

Labels:


one of us :: 4:44 PM :: 9 Comments

---------------oOo---------------