Tuesday, October 17, 2006

St. Ignatius of Antioch


St. Ignatius of Antioch , Apostolic Father and martyr, was the Bishop of Antioch, Syria. He lived during the time of Christ, succeeding Peter. Legend has it that he was the infant that Jesus took into his arms in Mark chapter 9. On his way to his martyrdom he wrote many leters to the churches under his care. He died a glorious death, exclaiming, "May I become agreeable bread to the Lord."

Some of his readings are as follows:

"...I am writing to all the churches to let it be known that I will gladly die for God if only you do not stand in my way. I plead with you: show me no untimely kindness. Let me be food for the wild beasts, for they are my way to God. I am God's wheat and bread. Pray to Christ for me that the animals will be the means of making me a sacrificial victim for God. No earthly pleasures, no kingdoms of this world can benefit me in any way. I prefer death in Christ Jesus to power over the farthest limits of the earth. He who died in place of us is the one object of my quest. He who rose for our sakes is my one desire. " (~From a letter to the Romans from Saint Ignatius of Antioch, found on Catholic-Forum.com.)

Happy Feast Day!

Labels:


one of us :: 6:32 AM :: 0 Comments

---------------oOo---------------