Monday, October 02, 2006

Feast of the Guardian Angels

Today the Church celebrates the Feast of the Guardian Angels. In early August Ellie wrote a wonderful post about these blessed angels which is well worth re-reading. Click here to read it.

From the Gospel of today's liturgy we read: "See that you never despise any of these little ones, for I tell you that their angels in heaven are continually in the presence of my Father in heaven" (Matthew 18:10). (~from Catholic Culture.)
...Angels are servants and messengers from God. "Angel" in Greek means messenger. In unseen ways the angels help us on earthly pilgrimage by assisting us in work and study, helping us in temptation and protecting us from physical danger.


Catholic Culture.org suggests some activities we can do in our homes to celebrate this feast, making it more real, accesible and alive to our little ones. We think it's important to encourage our faith in a good, joyful way, instilling in them wonder and awe, joy and mystery, fun and mirth...
We hope to be better about posting our own, or others', ideas on family traditions for feastdays of the Church. The suggestions Catholic Culture has for food ideas are very similar to those of the Archangels Feast which we have just celebrated days ago... the suggestions are below.
~Read Pope John XXIII's Meditation for the Feast of the Guardian Angels.
~Memorize and pray the Angel of God prayer.
~Bake an angel food cake, serve angel hair pasta, and/or make angel kisses (meringue cookies).


One of my greatest comforts as a mother is that whenever I am not attentive to my child, for instance when my back is simply turned for a moment, or when I lay him down to sleep and leave the room, I have confidence and am rested in knowing that Angels are with him. Just as I pray to Mary to be the mother that I cannot be to my son at certain times, I likewise pray to the angels for the protection which I cannot provide.

Night Prayer- a mother’s prayer to the guardian angels of her own children
I humbly salute you, O you faithful, heavenly friends of my children! I give you heartfelt thanks for all the love and goodness you show them. At some future day I shall, with thanks more worthy than I can now give, repay your care for them, and before the whole heavenly court acknowledge their indebtedness to your guidance and protection. Continue to watch over them. Provide for all their needs of body and soul. Pray, likewise, for me, my husband and my whole family, that we may all one day rejoice in your blessed company. Amen. (trad. Catholic prayer, selected from our Prayer Page.)

It is important also that we mothers pray to the angels for our own protection and guidance.

Prayer to One's Guardian Angel:
Dear Angel, in his goodness God gave you to me to guide, protect and enlighten me, and to being me back to the right way when I go astray. Encourage me when I am disheartened, and instruct me when I err in my judgment. Help me to become more Christlike, and so some day to be accepted into the company of Angels and Saints in heaven. Amen.(~from http://www.catholic-forum.com/Saints/pray0158.htm)

Happy Feast Day!!

Labels:


one of us :: 9:30 AM :: 0 Comments

---------------oOo---------------