Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Acknowledging the Divine

I just got back from the grocery store. I dread going grocery shopping because it's so difficult for me to focus on price comparisons and sticking to my list when I have two toddlers going crazy half the time. To get groceries alone feels like such a treat.

Anyway, we were there for about an hour, doing the 'big' shopping bonanza that needs to happen every now and again. My boys behaved so well. They didn't grab everything off the shelves. They stayed in their little car (attached to the cart). They didn't beg for goodies. And I didn't have to bribe them by opening any packages prior to checkout. It was truly a blessed experience.

After packing all the groceries away back at home it dawned on me to thank God for a hassle-free experience. So often we offer up our inevitable trials for the day. Or we beg for mercy before going into Mass. Or we ask for patience and strength when a kid is throwing a fit in public. But I for one, don't always remember to acknowledge those few times when things happen smoothly... when I get a full night's rest, or an easy grocery experience, or a disaster-free dinner time.

I imagine God is something like every other man I've met in the sense that it's important to show Him appreciation for the things He does, big and little. And He certainly has His hand in even our smallest of affairs. So let's all do a little bit more to give thanks for the blessings, the tiny consolations that we often take for granted.


-Ellie: Oak Harbor, WA

Labels:


one of us :: 10:03 AM :: 0 Comments

---------------oOo---------------