Friday, September 15, 2006

Our Lady of Sorrows

What a fitting feast for we mothers to meditate on. The sorrows of Our Lady are so immense compared to our petty sorrows. We do not know, of course, the sorrows our Lord has in store for us. We may be called to suffer through the devestations of death, sickness, pain... of persecution, of hardships and so on. No mater what crosses lie in store for us or on out table at this moment, what better example do we have than that of Mary, who watched her own Son suffer the death of a crucifixion and more? Let's meditate on hers and pray for the grace to accept every sorrow of our own life of motherhood.

I have put up this image of our Lady, as it is one of hope, courage, kindness and compassion. It is the face from the statue of
Our Lady of Combermere. There are many sorrowful depictions of Mary out there which we are familiar with, but this is one which hopefully can give all of us courage as mothers, aspiring for total love of God through everything.

To read more about this feast, click here.


The Seven Sorrows of Mary:
~Prophecy of Simeon
~Flight into Egypt
~Three-day Separation from Jesus in Jerusalem
~Meeting Christ on the Road to Calvary
~Crucifixion and Death of Jesus Christ
~Our Lord is Taken Down from the Cross (Pieta)
~Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is Buried in the Tomb

The ancient Latin prayer known as the Stabat Mater is a fitting meditation/hymn to sing or pray on theis feast:

At the cross her station keeping, Mary stood in sorrow weeping When her Son was crucified.
While she waited in her anguish, Seeing Christ in torment languish, Bitter sorrow pierced her heart.
With what pain and desolation, With what noble resignation, Mary watched her dying Son.
Ever-patient in her yearning Though her tear-filled eyes were burning, Mary gazed upon her Son.
Who, that sorrow contemplating, On that passion meditating, Would not share the Virgin's grief?
Christ she saw, for our salvation, Scourged with cruel acclamation, Bruised and beaten by the rod.
Christ she saw with life-blood failing, All her anguish unavailing, Saw him breathe his very last.
Mary, fount of love's devotion, Let me share with true emotion All the sorrow you endured.
Virgin, ever interceding, Hear me in my fervent pleading: Fire me with your love of Christ.
Mother, may this prayer be granted:That Christ's love may be implantedIn the depths of my poor soul.
At the cross, your sorrow sharing, All your grief and torment bearing, Let me stand and mourn with you.
Fairest maid of all creation, Queen of hope and consolation, Let me feel your grief sublime.
Virgin, in your love befriend me, At the Judgment Day defend me. Help me by your constant prayer.
Savior, when my life shall leave me,Through your mother's prayersreceive meWith the fruits of victory.
Virgin of all virgins blest! Listen to my fond request: Let me share your grief divine
Let me, to my latest breath, In my body bear the death Of your dying Son divine.
Wounded with His every wound, Steep my soul till it has swooned In His very Blood away.
Be to me, O Virgin, nigh, Lest in flames I burn and die, In His awe-full judgment day.
Savior, when my life shall leave me,Through your mother's prayersreceive meWith the fruits of victory.
While my body here decays May my soul your goodness praise, Safe in heaven eternally. Amen Alleluia.

Labels:


one of us :: 8:43 AM :: 1 Comments

---------------oOo---------------