Wednesday, June 07, 2006

hippie tip of the day

I spent a couple summers in southern Mexico, but somehow I missed this tip my little brother picked up when he was staying with our "familia" there. Natural deodorant. Silly as it sounds, all you need to smell fresh all day long is a slice of lemon or lime. Rub the slice and all its juice on your armpit and the acidity of the fruit will stay on to kill the bacteria that produces the sickly familiar B.O. smell.

My whole family has adopted this now... even my teenage, image conscious brother and sister. I tried it today for the first time, and kept sniffing myself discreetly all day to see if it would wear off; it hasn't! For women, the best part is that you don't have to worry about any residue coming off on black shirts. And, unlike other deodorants, even the natural stuff (I use Tom's of Maine after I learned how unnatural it was to use aluminum byproducts to clog your pores), you won't get that unpleasant "5 pm" smell of your body odor TRYING to masked by deodorant.

Hooray! So give it a try, you'll be highly impressed. My family keeps slices wrapped in foil in the fridge and just keeps reusing the slices until the juice dries out. If you can't bear to switch, at least take comfort in knowing that you have an alternative if you run out of your regular stuff one day.

URGENT UPDATE! My little brother reports that using lemon or lime juice from a bottle is just as (if not more) effective than the fresh slices.

-Ellie

Labels:


one of us :: 6:29 PM :: 2 Comments

---------------oOo---------------